SQLit

"Ross Mac" wrote in message
I live out here in Central Florida, lightning capitol of the country, and
want to install some lightning protection. I have googled around and
listened to the home shows. Was wondering if any of you folks out there

have
any suggestions on what to buy or not to buy....thanks in advance....Ross

Time for a trip to the library. Your looking for UL96A at least that is what
it was called.

Lightning protection that does not carry a master label is not worth much
and can be more problems than with out it. Best check with your insurance
agent on this.

You know; if you manage to get a strike your looking at a sacrificial
system?
Just like surge protectors it will work once.

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_...mendation.html

This has some interesting data.

http://www.lightningstorm.com/tux/js...cquisition.jsp

A google search will find 20 or so companies that if you send them a drawing
of the structure and the surrounding area, they will design and sell you the
products. It is not all that hard nor is it that expensive to install as
long as you do not mind getting close the edges.

The only house that I have even work on that had been hit was a total loss
electrically. It had lightning rods, and surge protectors installed by the
utility. They had an iron clad guarantee if you had this stuff installed. I
was hired to rip out the drywall and completely rewire the home. All of the
copper pipes were fused so the plumber was jack hammering up the concrete as
well. All of the stucco had to be removed cause all of the staples holding
the lath to the studs had dissolved and the outside looked like chicken pox.
I am pretty sure that a bull dozer and starting over from scratch would not
have been all that much more expensive.

Good luck