Jeff Wisnia

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

See answers below. Thanks Jeff!

Next:

1. If you stand (on something) so that you can see the screw when someone
else pushes the button, is there any movement of the screw while it's
making that "noise"?

The screw moves as if to lower the door for just a fraction of a second then
reverses
for equally long. It's as though the sensors are saying something is
blocking them. I've
jumpered the sensors and it still does it. It does this whether the
traveler is engaged or not.

2. Did the greasing possibly free things up enought so that the door moved
a bit further up than it used to and let the traveler jam up against
whatever it might hit at the back end of the track? Can you wiggle it a
bit in its present location, or does it seem "stuck"?

That doesn't seem to be the case. I can easily move the door (disengaged)
and with the
traveler in the down position (door is down), it's not anywhere near the
opener yet I still get
the same result. I unplugged the unit and checked the rear travel switch
(up limit switch) and all seems fine there
(ie. makes contact when closed, open when not closed).
At this point, I'm beginning to think a new unit is in order. Any
recommendations? Was looking
at the Genie Excelerator series for a start.

Thanks Jeff for the advice/troubleshooting help!
Cheers,
cc

Well, I'm out of ideas from this end. It does sound like something in
the powerhead is reacting as though there's an overload, even though it
sure doesen't sound like there is one.

Must be just a coincidence that it happened just when you greased things up.

Are there "up force" and "down force" adjustments in addition to the
rear travel switch? I doubt that you changed them, but maybe tweaking
them a bit in case one of them is sitting on a dirty spot would be worth
trying. If they are there and work by sensing the moto'sr running
current it's possible the motor has developed a partially shorted
winding and is drawing excess current even without the door loading it.
If that;s the problem, it isn't worth trying to fix.

I'm no experrt on brands and current quality. I have two Craftsman chain
openers on my two single width garage doors and both have survived 19
years now with zero mechanical problems and only one electrical one (a
cold solder joint on the circuit board) easily found and fixed.

Good luck,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia