Wild Bill

It seems odd that a lineshaft drill would run constantly if the quill needs
to be raised by a handwheel, then the pawl reset to power feed when the next
hole position is ready to drill.
Sure, we use the common modern drill presses without needing to stop them
because we can just release the quill feed pinion handle.

I have one of the old post drills, but it doesn't have any pulleys for
lineshaft drive. There is a flywheel pulley with a rough cast V belt groove
in it.
Mine is a 2 speed model (manufacturer unknown), and the operator moves the
handle from one side to the other to change speeds.

If you haven't drilled steel with a post drill before, you'll be surprised
how well the power feed works to make holes quickly.
It operates somewhat like the Cole drill, except the post drills aren't as
rigid, in that the table column isn't an integral part of the upper frame
(the post drill column is more for just positioning the table).

WB

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Got another oldie. This one is a Champion No. 97 post drill. It looks a

lot
like the red one on this page: http://www.beautifuliron.com/thepost.htm
but has a longer driveshaft with two flat belt pulleys on it. The table

was
broken in half back where it bolts onto the support, but today Ernie did a
fantastic TIG weld on it using nickel rod, ran a tap through to chase out

the
rust, and the original threads still work. An amazing weld. What an

artist.

Anyway, there are a couple of things about this drill press (which is in
pieces) I don't understand. I don't get the bit about the 2 flat belt
pulleys. Here's a pic of a similar machine with one flat belt pulley, and
you can see the length on the driveshaft where another one goes.
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/Images/870-A.jpg

Also, the machine is missing the thrust bearing entirely, and it
doesn't look like the same setup as a No. 90, shown on this page:
http://home.att.net/~ilikerust/postdrill.html

Here's a tantalizing fragment:

http://www.roseantiquetools.com/site...res/HSB174.jpg

It mentions no. 97s and one says it has a tight and a loose pulley and

something
about 250 rpm. Hoo boy this has my curiosity going bigtime! It says the

tool
weighs 175 pounds which seems about right - lot of cast iron in this pup.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks,

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington