Default plumbing question

Hi,

I recently turned off the main water shut off valve outside the house
to replaced a bad toilet water valve. The main water shut off valve
wouldn't turn off completely but water pressure was reduced quite a
bit.

However, after the job was done, when I turn the main shut off valve
counter-clockwise to turn the water back on, it seems water pressure
does not increase, so now I'm stuck with slow running water - it
appears water pressure doesn't change whether I turn the shut off valve
either direction.

I guess I have a bad main shut off valve? How do I replace the main
shut off valve (globe valve) or is this a job for the professionals?