Jeff Wisnia

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Hiya All,
Well I've gone and done it. The garage door opener was making a heck of a
racket (along with the door itself). Seemed to me that
it was time for a bit of grease. This is a screw drive opener. I greased
the screw and the track on the doors. Well it worked. The
door opener won't work now. Push the button and it makes a bit of noise
and stops. There are no obstructions in the door's path and
the sensors indicate the door should move. So I have a couple of
questions. 1. Seems odd, but did I hose the thing up by greasing the
screw? 2. Any recommendations for either fixing it or replacing it (ie.
Brand, screw vs. chain, etc....).

Thanks for the advice. I will probably be forced into replacing it this
weekend as the wife puts her car in the garage and well, she probably
can't lift the door on her own. Anyway, thanks,
cc

Quite a conundrum, but you really didn't give us much information to go on.

1. Is the door open or closed now?

2. Did you disengage the door from the opener traveler while greasing
things? If you did, did you reengage it correctly?

2. Did you try disengaging the door from the traveler, and see that it
moves freely by hand and "balances" about half way up?

If the door is disengaged from the traveler and closed, will the
traveler run along it's track when you push the button?

3. What kind of grease did you use, and is there any possibility
(unlikely as it seems) that if it's very cold in the garage that grease
stiffened enough to gum things up?

Report back with some answers and the folks here may be better able to
help you.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia