GerryG

I moved last year from Boston to southern Utah with a full shop of equipment.
You need to be there, and to have a few items broken down first. Usually the
driver supervises packing the van, and most are pretty good. The helpers,
however, are often whomsoever might be available, and need to be closely
watched. Make sure all your cords are secured, fences removed, etc. There are
specialty moving companies, but they're very expensive.

Assume, of course, that you'll need to realign everything when it arrives.

The only problem I hit was they moved the shop in the afternoon, and it
started to rain. We had to wipe off each item when it reached the van, and I
still had rust to remove after it arrived.

GerryG

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 01:11:43 GMT, AndyB wrote:

I come to the oracles seeking the wisdom of the ages.

(heh)

More specifically.... I am planning on moving in a few months and I want
some advice on moving my larger stationary tools.

Can I trust a regular moving company to move power tools with precision
surfaces/mechanisms? I am most concerned about my planer, jointer,
contractor style table saw, and band saw. I also have a floor standing
drill press.

Can a regular mover handle these ok?
Are there special moving companies?
Is it really worth begging my friends to lug heavy metal for me?

Any and all advice appreciated. I have never done this before. Last time I
moved was BWW (before woodworking) and my tools fit in a couple of
cardboard boxes. How time flies and shops fill up.

AndyB