Will

Saw a comment in one of my new books that a common "new turner" mistake
is "insufficient forward thrust" when turning beads.

Since I just had a few accidents in the last two hours and tried the
advice -- I now think it might be true. ROTFL.

Why do we never trust expert advice till we wreck something eh?

So, starting with the skew at a 45 deg. angle -- tip pointing up and to
your left -- forward thrust as you roll to the right -- with the skew
ending up vertical and the centre of the edge NOT below the centre line
of the turned piece. AT least that's what just worked. :-)

I could scan and post that one page on my web site if it would help...
But probably someone who knows what they are doing could help more...

Jim L. wrote:
Greetings- I am turning some table legs of dry walnut
about 1 -1/2 in Dia. I have read Raffin's book, watched his video, and
practiced for a day or two. When it comes to tuning beads about 1/4 wide I
use a 1/2" skew chisel with the point down and have pretty good success.
However, when I attempt it with the point up the tool skates down the work.
Is there a cure for this? Perhaps the tool has to be perfectly perpendicualr
to the axis? Or, do I have to cut a small groove to contain the tool edge?
Thanks, Jim Oh, I hold my hand over the tool blade and
hold it securely to the tool rest.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek