Terry

Another question regarding the ceramic magnets. I have always assumed
that you want to machine ceramic with the cutter running at a high
speed, and lots of water. I am turning a 3/16" diamond coated end mill
at around 8000rpm and taking off .005 at a feedrate of 1ipm. I then do
a .001 finish pass. I get a nice finish, and haven't really broken any
during this operation, but I do get some edges that I can see and feel
with my nail. Would changing my rpm or feedrate take care of this?

Also, on the lathe, should I be spinning the workpiece at maximum rpms?
I am only taking off about 1 to 2 thousands and moving the carraige
very slow.

And finally, when I am drilling with a 1/4" ceramic bit, I am spinning
at around 4000rpm. It is working ok for me, but I have exploded a
couple of magnets doing this. I think that might be kind of fast.
When drilling ceramic is it typical to spin the bit at a much lower
rpm? I will also be using an 1/8" bit on some magnets this weekend.

I don't really have the magnets to experiment with, so I am sticking
with what is sort of working for me.

Any suggestions or guide lines I may not be following that will keep
my magnet scraps down?

Thanks.