doozer

Grunff wrote:

Neither will ethanol (which is what meths is made of - not methanol).

Oh yes silly me. It's denatured with methanol not made of it.

Chlorinated solvents will to some extent (as you suggested), but PP is
really very difficult to dissolve. Hexane will soften it, which may help
in removing it.

I have just a look in a couple of old text books. Apparently hot toluene
or other non-polar solvents will work with extend exposure (IIRC petrol
is fairly not polar) I don't think you will be able to get hold of
toluene or hexane (both quite nasty).

If you can get the fire apart you might try burning it off but I suspect
that would leave the metal tarnished. You would need around 300 deg C
with a good flow of air (more air the better).

Graham