Alan Holmes

"Richard" wrote in message
om...
Hello all

another question:

I have located a cable under my floorboards which I *think* is the
ring main, the cable is definately the right size anyway. I want to
cut this and insert a junction box and then run a socket from it. I
want to be sure that what I'm cutting is the actual ring main before I
break into it, any ideas how I can easily do this apart from tracing
the cable to see where it goes?

Once you have satisfied yourself that you have found the right cable,
do not cut it.

Connection boxes for ring mains have just three connections, remove
the outside covering from the cable just enough to be able to seperate
each wire, being careful not to cut the insulation on each cable, at
least not yet.

Lay the cable across the junction box so you can see where the
connections will be, carefully strip a small section of the insulation
on each wire just where it will be pushed into the connectors.

Strip the ends of your extension and put each wire into the connector
with right coloured wire already in, tighten the screws, put the lid
back on, job done,

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

TIA

Cheers

Richard