Dave Hinz

On 25 Feb 2005 12:10:12 -0800, wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

Had the Gulf War I ever technically ended?

It ended with a cease-fire,

Is a cease-fire a formal end to a war? Has that become a peace treaty
now, or is it a "we'll stop shooting if you do"?

And, you forgot to play your followup games again, Fred. Sloppy, sloppy.

Of course the Congress did not DECLARE the 1991 war either.
Once the Congress authorized the use of military force in 1990
(or was it 1991 when the Congress voted?)
and in 2002 subsequent military action by President Bush and
President Bush respectively, was legal by US law.

So then, what's the problem?

AFAIK, the only US president to commit an apparant violation
of the War Powers Act since it was adopted, is Clinton
who never sought explicit Congressional approval in
advance of or during the extended military action in
Bosnia or Kosovo.

How unexpected.

As I recall, when the Kosovo issue
went to the courts the court decided that Congressional
approval of the military budget for any part of the
Kosovo campaign satisfied the requirements of the
War Powers Act. Just one of the many examples of
how Clinton got away with incredibly arrogant flouting
of the law with nary a peep from the press.

Suddenly you're making sense. I wonder if this post was forged.