Renata

I see. Promoting general welfare is heavily restricted, but promoting
common defense can be stretched any which way.

OK.

Renata

PS. An intersting discussion to be sure, on both matters. Just no
time right now.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:25:40 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Renata wrote:
Where in the Constitution does it say one of the jobs of our military
is to bring freedom and democracy to the rest of the world?

I suppose the case could be made that spreading freedom "promote[s] the common
defence". There's room for an interesting discussion on that subject, to be
sure. The Constitution does specify that the President is Commander-in-Chief
of the nation's military, and it places little restriction on his exercise of
that role.