Larry Blanchard

In article ,
says...
I don't know how much of a "trend" there is for knotty alder but here in the
Great Northwest, alder is considered a weed and is readily available for a
decent price. I can imagine alder cabinets would look awesome.

I like alder, although it is a little soft for table tops. I haven't
used any knotty stuff. And I hope there's no "trend", because I like
the current pricing :-).

I'm currently drawing up the plans for an entertainment center of alder
with flame birch panels in the doors. And yes, that violates the "too
soft for tabletops", but in a house with one retired couple, the
entertainment center shouldn't take much of a beating :-).