doozer

Ian Stirling wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Lobster wrote:

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:05:11 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Guess who put a heatsink down on a fabric-covered chair, forgetting that
the underside would be liberally buttered in this truly *evil* stuff.
What on earth will dissolve it without taking the chair with it?

Is it silicone grease or the white zinc heatsink compound?

Well, it's a white paste, and although it was me that originally applied
it, a long time ago, I haven't a clue what it's made of. Does 'white'
mean it must be zinc not silicone (and therefore I shouldn't try white
spirit?!)

Zinc oxide is the filler, used with a heavy silicone oil, to make the
compound.
(other more exotic things may be used.)

However.
Unless you've really tried hard, there should be some left on the
heatsink.
Smear this on another bit of fabric, and try various approaches.

I wouldn't be surprised if white spirit / terps caused the colour to run
in the fabric so defiantly try a concealed section first.

There aren't many things that will dissolve silicone effectively. IIRC
we used to use DCM (dichloro-methane) will but I have no idea where you
can get that neat (it's in paint stripper so you might find it
associated with that). You could also try acetone (nail varnish remover)
but I doubt that will work - it might be better for the fabric though.

Have you tried just sticking it in the washing machine?

Graham