Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Lobster wrote:
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:05:11 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Guess who put a heatsink down on a fabric-covered chair, forgetting that
the underside would be liberally buttered in this truly *evil* stuff.
What on earth will dissolve it without taking the chair with it?

Is it silicone grease or the white zinc heatsink compound?

Well, it's a white paste, and although it was me that originally applied
it, a long time ago, I haven't a clue what it's made of. Does 'white'
mean it must be zinc not silicone (and therefore I shouldn't try white
spirit?!)

Zinc oxide is the filler, used with a heavy silicone oil, to make the
compound.
(other more exotic things may be used.)

However.
Unless you've really tried hard, there should be some left on the
heatsink.
Smear this on another bit of fabric, and try various approaches.