Holly, in France

wrote in message
oups.com...
Coloured varnish looks awful.

Holly, in France wrote:
You can get a good colour by mixing coloured versions with clear.

The
antique pine (which someone said is no longer available?) was a

dreadful
orange used neat but good if used well 'diluted'. I tried the same

thing
with 'oak' colour once though, and that really was awful, sort of
greenish, you have to experiment. IMO it is an easier way to get an

even
colour than staining.

You can get ok light colours, if not good, and yes its easier than
staining with some woods. The problem is it chips off as it wears and
reveals bright whitish patches, and soon looks truly awful. And

getting
every last scrap off before recoating is a whole lotta extra work.

Dont
touch it.

I have only used this method with Diamond Coat, putting the 'tinted'
stain on for the first coat, going over it with the clear for the
remaining coats. I can't see why it would perform any differently than a
clear or factory tinted product. Don't know how it performs in the long
run, but it was fine after 3 years in the bedrooms, living room and
upstairs corridor in our last house, with four children running up and
down.

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,