The Natural Philosopher

Why not build a raised floor and hide all the plumbing under it?

Hmmm. Obvious as it is that option hadn't occurred to me. Not sure
how practical that might be. The room affected is actually a childs
bedroom, the en-suite is actually for the adjoining bedroom. We were
planning on putting one of those tall sleeper beds in there and I'm not
sure whether the effective reduced height of the ceiling may scupper
that idea.
Has no-one else anything good to say about macerators ? What is so bad
about them ?

The toilet bowl is capable of accepting larger and more tight things
than te macerator is capable of reducing.

In short, they jam and clog and break.

So far anecdotal experience lists

vampire teabags
tooth brushes
disposable razors
too much bog roll of the wrong sort

as all being capable of putting them out of action and causing expesnive
repairs to be necessary

If its just a basin and bog, put the bog on a pedestal and trunk in teh
soil pipe against a wall - handy shelf for coffe cups etc.

If shower and bath - you have a problem. Baths can be raised and, to an
extent, so can showers, but not so much.

Do NOT on ANY acount run a bog and a shower or bath through the same
macerator, unless you enjoy having turds swilling around your feet.

If at all posible do as I suggest - raise the bog bath and shower,and
run separte pipes. You may alos need an air admittance valve on teh bog
soild pipe. The esimplest way to do all this is to punch a hole through
the outer wall as low as youi can gop and adacent to an internal wall
that can handle the bog bath and shower along it, and build a box ot
false wall for the drains. You may find the bath can sit partially over
it as well and use less space that way.

If the room itself is not adjacent to an outside wall, you have no
option really but to run the pipework through another room and box in
there. You will want to do that anyway to somewhat deaden the sound of
turds rushing to meet their Maker. Or Whatever.