Alan Smithee

I've not built a lot of cabinets. This is the second since I acquired my
brad nailer. The carcass is 48wX13dX28h with one shelf dadoed into the
middle. I'm using a lot of dados and rabbits on the edges and then glueing
and brad nailing everything together so I've got holes on the sides and
edges. I'm using 3/4" cabinet grade birch plywood and then I'm facing the
edges with 3/4 by 3/8 strips of solid birch to hide the edges. The facing
strips are also being brad nailed and glued. All totaled I have probably 50
to 80 holes to fill. On the bright side the cabinet looks pretty good
otherwise. I'm going to stain it walnut coloured.

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
What's the best way to fill 18 gauges brad nail holes? I'm finishing a
cupboard. Thx.

Are you using a lot of brad nails? If not an excessive amount, then I'd
recommend another option. One of my favourite tools is the blind nailer

that
I picked up at Lee Valley Tools. It works great and with a small amount of
practice on scrap, you can use nails to attach wood while leaving no marks
whatsoever. Each nail hole takes me less than two minutes. It works very
well with hardwood trim or faceframes and has marginal effectiveness on
veneered plywood, the thickness of the initial face veneer being the most
crucial aspect. Cheaper veneered plywoods usually have a thinner surface.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...83&cat=1,41182

I use white glue instead of the fish glue that LV suggests and to speed up
the process, I've purchased two edging clamps. Holding time for the

shaving
to stay down with the hand and white glue is four to five minutes, the
edging clamp only takes 30 seconds and then I'm onto the next point for
attachment.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43838,43857

One other thing I do is to raise the shaving, drill a slightly undersized
hole for the nail, hammer it in and then countersink it a bit. The

advantage
is that less strenuous hammering is needed to insert the nail which goes a
long way to preventing crushing of the edge if the hammer slips off the
nail.