Art

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:14:30 -0500, "Absinthe"
wrote:

I have been doing a fair amount of woodwork, and am considering doing a bit
more metalwork. Any hand tools or small machines that you love/can't live
without?

For me, it's the bandsaw. I think you will find, after purchasing any
other tool, you'll be wanting the bandsaw.

I know this is a broad question, and should probably bring about counter
response like "Depends on what you want to make." I think I just want to be
able to do the most that I can as I learn the necessary skills. I have no
specific projects in mind, though I guess things involving bending and
shaping will be most difficult without some sort of aid.

The way I see it there are two paths in metal working, "fabrication"
and machining. Building model engines, clocks and mechanisms, or
gunsmithing are examples of primarily machining type projects.

Structural type projects, sheet metal and ornamental work (wich would
probably be nice if you already do wood work), are primarily what I
call "fabrication" projects (for lack of knowing any better) where you
cut, weld, bend, shape, etc...

Based on my experience of having bought them in a different order-
my personal tool choices for machining would be :

1. Measurement tools (caliper, micrometer set,square, small surface
plate and guage, v blocks, etc...),
2. Bandsaw,
3. Drill Press,
4. Beltgrinder,
5. lathe ( this is going to have to be a hefty machine to be able to
do any reasonable milling on),
6. Milling machine.

The lathe and mill will keep you busy buying accessories for them for
some time :-)

I'm not much of a "fabricator" so the only personal advice I can offer
is avoid 110V welders. That said some of the tools I use a

1 Bandsaw
2. Square
3. Lots of clamps
4. Angle grinder .
5. Die Grinder
and I hope to soon have a bender with scroll attachment.

I would suggest you locate a couple of projects that interest you, and
then figure out which tools you will need to complete them. There are
alot of very interesting Yahoo groups on metal projects. Magazines
would include Home Shop Machinist, Machinist Workshop, projects in
Metal (out of print), and old popular mechanics and popular science
magazines (pre 1970). For welding type projects, the Lincoln project
books are pretty good. Do browse the Yahoo groups though.

Hope this helps some.

For now, I have lots of files, a dremmel, and a bench grinder. I have been
considering either picking up a micro-mill or perhaps a cross slide vise to
use on my drill press. Any advise or suggestions are welcomed.