jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

You may recall my lumpy introduction to RCM many years ago----

Er, not *that* lumpy. At least as I recall. There were
worse....

er guys in the shop' rule?

Nope, and I hope you understand that I have the utmost respect for anyone
that has mastered the trade, with age making no difference. I bow to those
with skills I don't have, but I also expect the same in return. Life isn't
about everyone collecting everything they desire and not giving anything in
return. I respect you and your years of education and experience in your
chosen field. I expect that I receive the same for my meager
accomplishments.

Honestly I think I have maybe a few more years of experience than
robin but my formal training in the area of things that discussed
here is probably well below his. Really. My sum total of formal
training the machining fields is *two* (count 'em, two) night
classes which I took about 25 years ago because I had purchased
a used (*very* well used) atlas 9" lathe.

I have worked as a research engineer since then, of course. I know
things he doesn't know, he knows things I don't know.

Sometimes the younger guys know more than the more experienced hands
on some subject. Does that mean they get to react just as strongly, to
them?

Chuckle! I get your point, and I'm not sure it was ever more evident that
with the then very young Australian doctor that made the connection between
ulcers and helicobacter pylori bacterium. His experiences with the medical
profession boggle the mind, and were made even more difficult by the fact
that he was outside his field of expertise.

My understanding was, he "proved" the point by infecting himself with
the bacterium, deliberately. Thus giving himself and ulcer. Then
he "cured" the ulcer with a dose of penicillin.

The drug companies certainly understood the meaning of the experiment.
Overnight they had all their ulcer medications re-classified as OTC
instead of prescription. That was about the time I lost all respect
for them.

Oddly I cherry-pick both your, and robin's, posts here. You for
the wisdom - long years of experience. Robin because he's one
of the posters here who is currently deep in industry, in the
machining field he's been trained for. I guess I'm really just
muddying the waters here but in my defense you did ask me
to explain my comments - I don't think that any one person
is responsible, as you say.

Not muddying the waters in my opinion, Jim. I'm one of those people that
rarely puts a problem away without a resolution. I generally like to get
things resolved and make or accept any necessary apologies. If that isn't
possible, the least that I would expect is that everyone involved at least
understands what the hell all the commotion is about. While it's unlikely
anything good came from this, perhaps you and I understand somewhat better
what really transpired, and that things are not always as they appear. I
asked for your opinion, and I got it. You delivered what I think is a fair,
level handed opinion. That's what I expected, and I thank you for it.

You two may be years apart but I suspect you closer together than
you both realize. Certainly if the two of you were put in a room
with 98 other people you would stand out as the most closely matched
in skills.

Interesting comment, Jim.

My guess is that if you went back in time and met yourself
at robin's age, you might give yourself the same reaction you are giving
him at the moment. Maybe.

Jim

please reply to: