Robert Swinney

"garigue" wrote in message
Hello all .... The first thing I would tell the fellow is to definitely
stay away from Radio Shack. Also, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings
but do the same for the CC Radio. I find the CC radio overpriced and
susceptible to noise sources that some of my other radios ignore. The CC
has some annoying features such as that damm beep on band change and that
click on the preselect buttons for tuning. Definitely the way to go would
be with a good antenna. I would do a search under broadcast band DXing.
There are a myriad of sites and ideas.

The radio I recommend would be an OLD car radio. I have been very
disappointed in the AM performance of car radios of late. I understand
that
this is purposeful as the radio is less susceptible to interference from
the
on board computers in the car. So instead of better shielding-design;
they
degenerate the AM sensitivity. A decent 12 V power supply can be cheaply
built or bought. I would stay away from the small switching supplies as
some generate a lot of hash. You know what your needs are in the valley
so
try some different combinations but trying to "buy" your way into good
reception would probably be counterproductive and disappointing.

God Bless and good luck pulling them in ......Tom Popovic Belle Vernon
Pa.

Car radios have better low signal performance than the average domestic
radio--so use a car radio in your house and get a good external aerial.

Not in my wife's VW. AM is useless on that car.
Factory defect?, dealer wouldn't fix it.