Grant Erwin

Absinthe wrote:
I have been doing a fair amount of woodwork, and am considering doing a bit
more metalwork. Any hand tools or small machines that you love/can't live
without?

I know this is a broad question, and should probably bring about counter
response like "Depends on what you want to make." I think I just want to be
able to do the most that I can as I learn the necessary skills. I have no
specific projects in mind, though I guess things involving bending and
shaping will be most difficult without some sort of aid.

For now, I have lots of files, a dremmel, and a bench grinder. I have been
considering either picking up a micro-mill or perhaps a cross slide vise to
use on my drill press. Any advise or suggestions are welcomed.

I recommend a 4x6" horizontal/vertical band saw e.g.
see http://www.tinyisland.com/4x6bsFAQ.html for the FAQ for that machine

I also recommend a 4½" angle grinder with a sanding attachment and a few
wire brush heads for it.

I also recommend a little buzzbox-type stick welder.

Personally, I did a whole lot of work with a cross-slide vise mounted to
my drill press, until I got a milling machine. I still have my old CS vise
if you want to make me a deal for it.

Some things you can buy cheap, like wrenches. Some, however, you have to get
quality, like taps and dies. Cheap taps and dies are sheer misery.

Learn about the industrial suppliers like Enco, MSC, J&L and McMaster-Carr.

Subscribe to the magazines "Home Shop Machinist" and "Machinist's Workshop".
Start looking for back issues. They normally go for current face value ($5/copy)
so be prepared to pay but when you get ready to sell them you'll be pleased
that they have kept their value.

Read this NG.

GWE