Jack Hayes

"Absinthe" wrote in message
news:1109337305.e55dbb01c7550376150b1a40cd9c1a83@t eranews...
I have been doing a fair amount of woodwork, and am considering doing a

bit
more metalwork. Any hand tools or small machines that you love/can't live
without?

I know this is a broad question, and should probably bring about counter
response like "Depends on what you want to make." I think I just want to

be
able to do the most that I can as I learn the necessary skills. I have no
specific projects in mind, though I guess things involving bending and
shaping will be most difficult without some sort of aid.

For now, I have lots of files, a dremmel, and a bench grinder. I have been
considering either picking up a micro-mill or perhaps a cross slide vise

use on my drill press. Any advise or suggestions are welcomed.

In my opinion the machine tool that you can make the most use of and use to
complete some interesting projects would be a lathe. Depending on what
materials you want to work and the size of these projects a suitable lathe
could range from a 7X10 import to 13X40 old American iron. In my own case I
first purchased a 9X18 import that was used, after a year or so I purchased
a 11X20 Standard Modern. The idea of a cross slide vice and drill press is
not really a viable way to mill. A micro mill will be much better as long as
the material and work piece size is suitable.

Jack Hayes