John Rumm

Default Combi-Boiler Choice- ?Alpha any good

IMM wrote:

I think I am beginning to understand why my spell checker always wants
to change IMM to DIM....

That is the point, it is cheap to install, with no zone valves, etc.

OK I will take it nice and slowly for you, see if you can keep up (feel
free to move your lips as you read if it helps)

How do you work out the cost of installing a boiler?

Well there are two parts to the equation: parts and labour.

What parts do we need? Some copper pipe + fittings, solder, flux, and an
assortment of valves etc depending on the type of install we are doing.
Factor in a bit of wear on your core bore when drilling the flue, and
some gas for your blowtorch, petrol etc. and you have a couple of
hundred perhaps.

Now lets assume it is a pretty straight forward operation and one man
gets it done in a day. That will be 8 hours at anything from 70 quid
per hour upwards - so including the parts that would be 760 or more.

Of course in the OPs situation he was looking to replace a back boiler -
that is not going to be so quick and easy. Parts won't cost much more -
labour will.

What does your boiler cost? Comparable to the parts + labour charge I
would have thought. So my statement that the cost of installing the
boiler is going to cost about the same as the boiler is I would say fair.

Now lets say you want ot install two of them. Cost of parts will may be
similar maybe less or perhaps more if there is much new pipework to
install. Draining down only needs to be done once so you save a little
there. Pretty much everything else is going to take the same amount of
time again. Hence getting on for double the labour costs.

Absolute nonsense. If anything it will be CHEAPER to install. In an

Perhaps in the IMM time vortex one man can install two boilers in half
time time it takes the same man to install one...

Hmm yup see your logic there. How is K9 these days?

existing system, separating the system to upstairs and down may in some case
prove problematic, but in most system the upstairs and downstairs are two
separate loops.

As a generalisation that probably does not work.... most modern houses
with solid floors downstairs will be plumbed as one loop under the first
floor. Older properties with susspended floors may have two loops. Not
really relevant either way since we are talking about retrofitting a new
boiler to an existing heating system.

This is a TWO zone setup. If you wanted the same from a single boiler it
would be more complicated and the same applies to the pipework runs pof
both.

So you are saying: It would be more complicated for a single boiler and
the same applies to both?

Errrm subtitles anyone?

In many cases the cost of
installing is significantly more than
the cost of the boiler.

Absolute nonsense !!!!!

A bit out of touch I see...

If you go for two boilers on
different floors, then you also need to
find a place to install the second - in
many properties this is not a
trivial task.

You can put them both together One,or both, can go at the back of the
airing cupboard, still releasing tons of space by the redundant cylinder.

Assuming the cylinder was in the airing cupboard and not the loft... If
it is in an airing cupboard are you including the cost of providing
alternative heating for the cupboard since you are not going to get much
out of the casework of a decent condensing boiler?

Perhaps the OP would be better off installing a plain system boiler,
keeping the cylinder, and adding a shower pump...

You are going to be paying to have
two boilers serviced
annualy as well.

You can always get a deal with two boiers when they next to each other.

"OK mate I will only charge you twice the price to service them - five
quid discount since I will use less petrol..." (plus 20% hike to account
for the customer being a soft enough touch to fall for the two boilers gag)

--
Cheers,

John.