Noozer

I called the contractor, who wanted $100 to come out. That seemed fair,
although for 10-15 minutes of work, nevertheless expensive. I scheduled.
I got stood up/no call. I got annoyed because this is the second time
this contractor did this.

This is normal... You'll have to keep calling different contractors for the
next few months until you get fed up and do it yourself. Occuasionally you
will get lucky and someone will need their TV or beer fridge repaired so
will show up to do as little as possible and then take a big wad of cash.

I'm so tired of trying to hire someone to do anything that we're just going
to sell the house and move back to an apartment where I can hold rent back
if something is broke.