Duane Bozarth

JackRabbit wrote:

Pulling wire questions.... newbie questions. basement remodel

1. The bottom of my outlet box is a hammer length which is about 12"-13" or
so. The holes above the box that i am pulling are at 25". Is this too
high for the hole? Is there a limit ?? I am going to run another line just
above the 25" hole at about 28" to get the wire to another room. It seems
like the cleanest way to do it.

2. I have a situation where my top plate is connected to a floor joist
lengthwise. I need to get the wire from a switchbox up to the ceiling for a
light fixture. I am not sure how I can run the wire without notching the
joist, or drilling a hole in the top plate into the floor joist.

1. You can route the wire whatever is convenient...just tack it within
the code distance of the box. Typically one tries to make the runs to
conserve wire, but if there are other reasons overriding...

2. Bad layout plan... But, a 2x4 top plate on a 2xX joist leaves
3-1/2 less 1-1/2 == ~ 2" clearance to get the wire through the top
plate. If you put the plate flush to one side of the joist and need the
wire in the other cavity, run it up through the plate then through the
joist...the hole through the joist should be near the middle, not at the
top or bottom edge...