Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Brian Siano wrote:
jtpr wrote:
I did the same thing many years ago out of cheap pine and stain. They
are still there with no problems. This is FHW baseboard heating.

Mine's a big hot-water radiator, twenty-seven inches high.

After I posted my note, I had a thought that might save me a lot of
worry. I'll build the sides with quartersawn oak. BUT, I'll buy a nice
green marble top for the thing. That way, I get a nice color contrast
with the green marble and the red/yellow wood, and the heat won't split
the top.

From the 'dirty tricks' department --

Build it 'over height' by several inches. Then run a piece of sheet metal
(lightweight aluminum is good) from the front edge of the "bottom of the
top" over and down _behind_ the radiator. Functions as a 'deflector' to
encourage the warmed air out into the room. For extra points, put 'batt'
insulation on top of the sheet-metal. More of the heat goes immediately
into the room, rather heating the enclosure (which then heats the room).

A metal 'reflector' behind the radiator also helps.

As does insulating the sides of the beastie.