pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Dave Hinz
wrote back on 24 Feb 2005 19:49:56 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

Even if you are, you won't know the difference. Time domain
reflectometry comparison between Monster Cable and #14 zip cord showed
no difference in signal quality in a band from 0 to 100MHz.

Don't you know that expensive cables improve "believability" of sound?

As soon as you can put "believability" into engineering terms I can
measure, I'll be happy to measure it. I used to work with a guy who
was an freak amongst audiophiles - granite turntable, magnapan speakers,
tube amps, cables the size of your arm, and all that. Yeah, sure, it
sounded good, but...the Bose system for a few hundred bucks sounds
pretty damn good too, y'know?

Umpty eleven years ago, I went with my Dad to buy a stereo. Went to
Japan, and I doubled his "duty free" amount. [Hmmm - half that stereo was
mine.] He'd been talking to the audiophiles, and they basically told him
"if you got a hundred dollar ear, buy the hundred dollar stereo. If you
have the fifty dollar year, buy the fifty dollar stereo." (Tells you hold
long ago this was).
His response was "I've got a ten dollar ear ..."

So I got a week in Japan with my Dad, as he shopped around. Lots of
fun for a twelve year old kid.

tschus
pyotr

--