Default Electric Heating & the "Auxiliary" Heat

I just bought a condo (woohoo!), and have noticed ever since I moved in
that the heater will sometimes have a "clicking fit" - for no reason
immediately apparent to me, the heater will make a clicking noise every
second or so, and this will last for quite some time, often until the
heater turns off. Then again, sometimes (like right now) the heater
happily trucks along, warming me & my dogs without making any
irritating noises.

Yesterday, I noticed that the clicking sound corresponded to an
indicator light on my thermostat. The light is labeled "Aux Heat", and
when the heater is clicking away, the light is blinking away, turning
off every time the heater clicks. I have electric heat, and right now
on the thermostat, the fan is set to Auto (as opposed to On) and the
System is set to Heat (as opposed to Off, Cool, or Emer). Since I
noticed the clicking/blinking relationship, I've checked the light when
the heater has been running quietly, and I've seen the light both
steadily off and steadily on.

I've never owned my own place before, and never had electric heat in
any of my previous homes. Is this normal operation, or a symptom of a
problem?