chemqueries wrote:
When I tried to use the machine,
I turned the machine on by pulling up on that knob. I assumed that

the
machine would fill to a certain point, and would then stop filling

when
it was ready to go to the next phase of the cycle, but it just kept
filling.

You mean it never went to the agitation cycle even though it was full
to the point of overflowing? That sounds less like the solenoid valves
and more like the water level switch, or maybe something else like the
timer/controller. So let's rule out the valves.

Begin with the washer empty. Now test the "cold" solenoid valve. Turn
the hot water hose off at the knob/valve that supplies the hose, and
turn the cold water knob on. Cause the washer to fill, and cycle the
temperature knob from "hot" to "cold" and back again a few times. If
the water alternates between start and then stop completely, you know
the "cold" solenoid is OK.

Now test the "hot" solenoid valve. Turn the cold water hose off at the
knob/valve that supplies the hose, and turn the hot water knob on.
Cause the washer to fill, and cycle the temperature knob from "hot" to
"cold" and back again a few times. If the water alternates between
start and then stop completely, you know the "hot" solenoid is OK.

Once you have proven the solenoids are the problem or not, you can be
sure if you need to replace the solenoid valve(s) or look elsewhere.

%mod%