brugnospamsia

wrote in message
oups.com...
brugnospamsia wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

- are there any e-savers that will work with dimmers?
- what's a good place to buy good ones online - ScrewFux?

There are ways to dim standard cfls, but they dont involve standard
dimmers.

SNIP

You can also dim cfls if you open them up,

please illuminate us :-)

The 9 watt lamp I just fitted to my pushbike is currently only taking

4
watts on the camping light invertor and I'm trying to understand how

tweak it ....

then either its not being supplied with the needed v and i, or its
faulty. Why not use a 12v cfl?

I only decided to give it a go when I saw how compact mini-spirals were -
and even then I've removed the ballast and made it even shorter.

is there any mileage in over-volting fluorescents ?

yes lots, but you cant do it by overvolting, you need to change the
ballast. Sci.egngr.lighting will tell you how to put 2x or 4x rated
power through fls.

Cfls have less room for boosting, but still some. Note efficiency
falls, so 2x power gives say 1.5x output, not 2x.

NT