GregP

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 04:25:57 GMT, wrote:

I quoted indirectly an acknowledged expert in food taste. I presume
you'd say an evaluation by Robert Parker of a wine at 99 was simply
"his taste" and by implication no different than yours.

RP is an "expert" on wine. But from the point of view of me
enjoying a wine, it is in fact the case that his preferences are
no more important than mine. For me, the primary utility of
his ratings are that they help narrow down the choices among
wines I have never tried (cheap wines, since that is all that
I buy). But I do know by now that I am much more likely to
enjoy the dry wines that he has recommended and to stay
away from those where the word "fruit" is emphasized in his
description. He rated the 2000(?) Vitiano higher than the
following year's; I liked the latter better personally, but I
"agreed" that both were quite good for the money.