Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote:

McDonalds for example produce excellent french fries, better than
anything you can make, and better than anything the top-rated
restaurants can produce. ...

Well, what you've described is how McDonald's controls consistency.

Not quite. You could have consistently soggy, oily fries as you get in
most restaurants, fast food and otherwise, or you can select, process
and cook the potatoes correctly to produce the desired superlative
product.

But it's still controlling consistency ... same thing as any other
industrial process. Just like any other "six-sigma" process (although I
don't know that M-D's uses the formal process, it's the same idea).

I grant the target is one which is palatable to the mass market they're
targetting, and more so than some, but it's still simply a matter of
personal taste as to whether the target is or isn't one's own favorite.

Whether they're "unparalleled" is a matter of personal taste. You
apparently like their model--while I recognize I can usually get the
same thing at any Mickey-D's, I don't find them nearly as appetizing as
a "home-grown" version. But my taste apparently doesn't match yours.

I quoted indirectly an acknowledged expert in food taste. I presume
you'd say an evaluation by Robert Parker of a wine at 99 was simply
"his taste" and by implication no different than yours.

Well, I'll grant I wouldn't rank as anything of an expert by anyone who
was a wine expert--I have some things I enjoy and others I don't. Some
of what I enjoy I know is rated moderately well, some of what I have had
that has been highly rated I don't care for at all...that is personal
preference. I could care less on a personal choice as to what
anybody elses's opinion is---I may consider other recommendations for
choices on occasion, but I don't feel at all obligated to cater to their
choices if their "educated" or "sophisticated" palate doesn't match
mine....

As noted, I stand by my contention that it is all personal preference
and for me my preference is far more significant than all the "experts"
whose judgement is in large part a support for exclusiveness and elitism
designed primarily to justify the financial returns.