Joe

Remember the caveat about stringing long antenna wires: lots of wire in the air can
pick up a static charge, and knock you on your ass when you touch it. The old-timers
would be sure to ground one end of the wire before they started to string it up.
Once it's up, you can connect it to your gear. Reference an old ARRL handbook for
more info. Use a spark-gap arrestor, too.

I'm about ready to try that very thing. One local businessman, almost as a hobby, is
operating an AM station (on automation) that plays a mix of 90% blues - from the
1920s to present, and 10% eclectic alternative. Before I found out about it, I
wouldn't even give AM a second thought. Unfortunately (for me) the station is too
weak to receive at my home, about 35 miles away.

Joe

Grant Erwin wrote:

AM radios work well with a long wire antenna. Get a long wire, copper 1/8"
cable is good, and string it as straight as you can as long as you can as
high as you can, and run one end of it to your AM antenna screw. I've done
this and it really works.