Adrian Ball

Default Combi-Boiler Choice- ?Alpha any good

(John Powell) wrote in message . com...

[SNIP]
Would I be better going for a combi-boiler without an internal storage
cylinder, but a high flow rate anyway, perhaps the Baxi Combi 130HE?

We have a Baxi 130HE. Great boiler technically, shame the same cannot
be said about their service engineers (or customer service for that
matter!).
I would not recommend buying a Baxi product purely for this reason.

Our boiler had a simple fault, the valve which is supposed to stop
flow to the central heating when hot water is drawn never operated.
None of the engineers (including a 'senior' one) believed there was a
fault, coming up with all sorts of vague "reasons" for the poor
performance. One engineer replaced the control board (thinking, with
no evidence, that this would cure the problem), then failed to believe
that it had to be set up to use the intellistat - he actually insisted
(without checking) that it didn't need setting up, and left. Two
hours later, we had a cold house and I had to dig out the manual and
do it myself. This is on top of two week waiting lists for service
appointments, and one missed appointment (with no notification).
Eventually (after six months of high gas bills and poor hot water),
the fault became clear as the warmer weather started and we had a red
hot house everytime someone had a shower - they replaced the valve
(after we had presented them with clear evidence of the fault, no
investigation on their part) - no problems since...

Customer service never responded to our letter of complaint (or our
installer's independent letter).

Good boiler - bad service - don't go there!