Edwin Pawlowski

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message

are dull. What are my options? When dry, what are the appearance and
performance/endurance differneces between Lacquer, Shellac, Varnish and
Polyurethane? Also what should I know about working with each? Will
clear
polyurethane, give me the shiny finish I wanted and previously got with
the
"High Gloss" polyurethane? If not can I buy Deft "High Gloss" poly
through
the internet?

Thanks in advance,
Novice woodworker

Just to clarify, all poylurethanes are varnish, but not all varnish is
polyurethane.

Shellac is a wonderful finish that has been around hundreds of years. It is
not alcohol resistant though and will dissolve in its presence. Don't spill
a drink on the table if you use it. Shellac is used to coat M & M's and
many pills. It is made from a secretion of the Lac beetle.

Clean poly comes in satin, semi gloss, high gloss. One of them should suit
your needs.

Lacquer is nice, durable, most often sprayed, but brushing lacquer does
exist.

For better info, ask over on rec.woodworking.