Patriarch

Mike D wrote in
:

wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a house built in 1935. House has
lots of character, beautiful hardwood floors and fireplace. Here is
the catch, 2 previous sales have fallen through because each home
inspector has said "it cannot be fixed" The back corner of the house
has sunk 8" according to reports. This can be seen inside with a rise
in the floor, and on the outside with a diagonal line of bricks that
have seperated about a cm. I have photos- I need someone's opinion:
can this be saved?

OK. If we look at this thru our alt.home.repair colored glasses then
nothing exists that cant be repaired. It may be hopless, it may not
be.

I see your situation as a POTENTIAL opportunity. Since you know the
seller is in a jam 'cause the last two sales fell thru you are now
in the drivers seat. Call in a foundation contractor to quote the job
and have the seller finance the fix, or have the seller knock off
the cost of the job from his/her price PLUS a few grand for your
willingness to finance the problem. If a good contractor can fix it,
then his fees can get rolled into the sale and everyone leaves
happy, and you paid a few $ less

Mike D

Sometimes it works. And sometimes it doesn't.

A fellow I used to work for bought one of these problems, had it fixed,
and lived in the home for maybe ten years. Then a larger portion of the
hill gave away, and he lost the house, and all of their equity. Bad
news.

Ten years later, they have a more modest home, three blocks away. On a
more solid lot.

The wise man built his house upon a rock...

Patriarch