Ken Moon

"G. McCoy" wrote in message
.. .
I am interested in any suggestions and recommendations for different types
of lacquer for use on wood turnings and the same for a inexpensive HVLP
spray gun to use with my air compressor

================================

Most standard compressorsd are't suitable for HVLP, due to their low volume.
There are HVLP sprayers that can be driven by a standard compressor, but you
may want to do some research to find the characteristics you'll need and
which type will suit your needs. With a standard compressor and conventional
spray gun, I've used 30-45 PSI with good results. I like to use automotive
acrylic lacquer, and I thin it about 2:1 depending on original viscosity. At
your paint store you can get a viscosity cup that will allow you to
standardize the viscosity to allow consistent application. Most auto paint
and auto parts stores will have some books for beginners. If you learn the
basics for auto finishing, then wood should come pretty easy.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX