I'm also not an expert but have had some experience as a home owner
with a foundation problem. You will need to hire a good structural
engineer to assess the problem and give an honest opinion and plan for
repair. This will cost a few hundred at least, more if they do any
testing, assuming the house's owner will allow testing. Sometimes
testing is "destructive," so it's understandable if the owner won't
allow that. You'll also need an expert estimate of how much the repair
would cost. It's probably true that almost anything can be fixed for a
price, so consider that if you make an offer on the house. Historical
buildings may be worth spending big bucks on to fix but if a house is
not worthy of that expenditure it's likely to be deemed unfixable. Be
realistic and avoid falling in love with a house. Love is blind.
Foundation repair is expensive. And new houses can have faults just as
bad, so whatever way you go, protect yourself and don't let love blind
you.

The Bald Ass Prairie Farm wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I am considering the purchase of a house built in 1935. House has

lots
of character, beautiful hardwood floors and fireplace. Here is the
catch, 2 previous sales have fallen through because each home

inspector
has said "it cannot be fixed" The back corner of the house has sunk

8"
according to reports. This can be seen inside with a rise in the

floor,
and on the outside with a diagonal line of bricks that have

seperated
about a cm. I have photos- I need someone's opinion: can this be

saved?

has sunk 8" = 20 cm
separated about a cm

I guess some pictures might help.

Find out how the foundation was build and why the back corner has

settled so
much. Repair shouldn't be too bad, just lots of digging and a new
foundation. How is the house build? Out side walls brick ? or just a

fake
wall on a wooden building. Soil conditions, moisture, climate?

No emails to this address please, slow connection and a very good

spam
blocker, please reply in newsgroup

Richard

The Bald Ass Prairie Farm