Charles Schuler

It might not be such a bad thing (I mean by that the replacement approach as
opposed to repair). Having something diagnosed and repaired these days can
be like a tour through Dante's Inferno. Our pool heater (heat exchanger)
went out recently and it took five service calls to get it fixed (sort of).
It's not really fixed because now the bypass valve is screwed up (can no
longer bypass the heater), a pressure gauge is missing its cover and no
longer works, the cover of the heater is bulged out on the front as it was
improperly reinstalled, and the auto function of the heater no longer works
(no doubt a re-wiring error).

It seems to me that folks with a basic knowledge of mechanics and
electricity and a reasonable attitude about customer service are in VERY
short supply. I suppose that nowadays those with any ability go to law
school or earn MBAs.