Jeff Wisnia

Grant Erwin wrote:

snipped

AM radios work well with a long wire antenna. Get a long wire, copper 1/8"
cable is good, and string it as straight as you can as long as you can as
high as you can, and run one end of it to your AM antenna screw.

I agree with the long wire antenna, but how many AM radios *have* an
antenna screw these days? If the OP's doesn't have one he may still have
to use inductive coupling to get the rf into his radio. Unless of course
he has the knowledge, skills and tools to open up his set and make an
appropriate (and safe) antenna connection.

snipped

And remember this well -- you will NEVER get good
antenna advice from some minimum wage pimple-faced flunk at Rat Shack!
They know
NOTHING about electronics! Stay entirely away from Radio Shack and you will
be better off for it. I learned this a long time ago when I was going
through
electrical engineering school and they have gone downhill (waaaay downhill)
since then.

Well!!! You wouldn't have said that if you went into one of the less
than ten Radio Shack stores in existence circa 1955 and met me (an EE
student) working his way through college behind the counter there. I was
a licensed ham and I'm sure I would have been able to advise you all
about the antennas of the day. G

That was back when Radio Shack was still owned by Theodore and Milton
Deutschmann, about 9 years before Tandy bought them. The store I worked
in was on "lower Washington Street" in Boston.

But, I agree with your comments about the present store staff, they're
not much better than what you find in most other retail operations. I
consider Radio Shack as a convenient "self service" place where I may be
lucky enough to pick up something I need "right away".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)