David Moodie

Default drilling wall tiles

"Woody" wrote in message

Why a special drill? Just mark the centre, carefully scratch the glaze to
score/break it with a tungston-carbide tipped scriber, put masking tape

over
it to stop the drill wandering, and drill fairly slowly with an ordinary
masonary drill (rotary, no hammer.) Piece of cake.

If you need a large hole, make drill a small one first, then craze the

glaze
(sic!) around the hole and enlarge it and so on.

--

Woody

On regular wall tiles drilling them is a doddle, but the ones that I've got
up are 9-10mm thick porcelain.

I'm looking at about 20mins for a 6mm diameter hole using a combination of
6mm and 8mm tile drills and a 6mm tct drill. I persevered with using
standard Bosch and B&D tile bits but as I've still got 9 holes to drill to
mount the shower rail, screen and other bits it's time to bite the bullet
ant try out the screwfix offering that Grunff gave his blessing to.

At least the sink is now secured to the wall, and I'll have a wee break at
the weekend before tackling the rest of the holes.

David