TheNewGuy

Default Eric Johnson, how is your GI 15" planer doing?

Sorry to do this, folks, but didn't know how else; I'm using Google
Groups to read/post, but it seems threads beyond a certain age can't be
"reply"ed to??? There was a thread a year ago on the Dewalt 735 - back
in the sprocket problem days - and, Eric, you made this reply on 20 Feb
04:

====
Like I said in part one. I worked the Dewalt to it's limits and didn't
get
it repaired (at my expense) till I replaced rollers bushings chains
etc...
I now have a General International 15" 3 horse and won't look back.
The 735 while when working does a nice job but for only a little more
there are certainly better machines available.
====

I'm shoppping planers now. I have the GI "builders saw" (50-185) that
I've been happy with, and of all the "taiwanese" 15inch planers that
are on the market, I still think the GI gives the best bang for the
buck.

But, on the other hand, for $500 less (or towards another tool! )
there have been so many glowing users of the Dewalt 735 that it's hard
to ignore.

And thus, you, Eric Johnson, are the man whose input I seek :^) I've
read the archive threads on general pros/cons of table top v. floor
models, but you seem to be one of the few who've used these two
machines. How much b.f. have you put thru the GI? What's your
assessment a year hence?

Thanks!
Chris

p.s. - others are of course encouraged to reply as well, esp. GI 30-115
owners!