IMM

Default Combi-Boiler Choice- ?Alpha any good

"John Powell" wrote in message
om...
John Rumm wrote in message

.. .
John Powell wrote:

I want a high flow system so I can have a decent shower

For an "ordinary" shower then this
boiler would be more than adequate.
snip

One potential problem for me is the
apparent low flow rate into the
house from the mains

I did a check at the nearest cold tap
to the water inlet, ( the cold
water is at mains pressure) - I filled a
2 litre jug and timed it

it came out at about 15l/min

would that change the optimum choice of boiler?

Yes. No more than 15 litres/min. This will still give you a decent high
pressure shower. Is the stop cock fully open? Is the cock in the street
fully open? Do the neighbours have similar flowrates? If you mainly have
showers and can wait a few more minutes to fill a bath on the odd occasions
you have one, then all is fine. It may be worth looking into replacing the
mains pipe to larger 25mm bore back to the road. This is well worth
considering. Once done it is fine for ever. If you want fast bath fills
frequently and you don't want to upgrade your mains pipe, then you will have
to go tank/cylinder

If you go tank cylinder then use a Fortic type of tank/cylinder combination
unit (this is all one insulated unit and can go in the loft) with an
integral quick recovery coil. Have a combi (Worcester Junior is having good
reports of late; and simple) heat the cylinder as per usual, but with a
priority system of DHW. have the shower only through the water section of
the combi giving high pressure showers and all other hot outlets from the
tank/cylinder. You only did high pressure at the shower, all the rest need
volume not pressure.