Tekkie wrote:
posted for all of us....

He'd be
all-electric except for fear of freezing during a blackout. Thus

his

I'm not arguing with you but what does he think his system is going

to do
during a power outage?
--
Tekkie

It's a good point. The oil burner and air circulator do require
electricity, after all. So there may be more to having the oil backup
than fear of blackout. Fear of heatpump breakdown, maybe? Maybe the
idea of economic balance point was explained to him when he bought the
system, but he sees no need to switch to oil when it gets really cold
outside, because his HP is so oversized it keeps his house warm enough
anyway, cost of oil vs. electric be damned?

The only straight story I can get from him is how old the system is and
how he seems to like to save the oil for emergencies. My guess is if
the power did go out for an extended time, I'd run a wire over to his
house from my generator to run his system on oil to keep his pipes from
freezing. Running the HP from a generator would require a much bigger
generator.

%mod%