Grant Erwin

Andrew V wrote:

I've seen people reference a news group for radios and am wondering which
one (found many radio related newsgroups). My questions relate to improving
AM/FM reception in a valley area. I can get the stations on the car radio
but almost nothing in the house(wood frame). I have the standard antennas
hooked up and want to do some research before I find myself at the mercy of
the radio shack sales guy.

AM radios work well with a long wire antenna. Get a long wire, copper 1/8"
cable is good, and string it as straight as you can as long as you can as
high as you can, and run one end of it to your AM antenna screw. I've done
this and it really works. And remember this well -- you will NEVER get good
antenna advice from some minimum wage pimple-faced flunk at Rat Shack! They know
NOTHING about electronics! Stay entirely away from Radio Shack and you will
be better off for it. I learned this a long time ago when I was going through
electrical engineering school and they have gone downhill (waaaay downhill)
since then. For advice, go to the Internet. For purchasing, look at reputable
suppliers like Mouser, Parts Express, Digikey, or many others. - GWE