Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Douglas G. Cummins wrote:

surprised if any glare-control measures at all made it into the ITE
spec; glare is generally ignored (dismissed as a non-problem) in North
America.

New spec has maximum permissible luminous intensity not to exceed three
times the minimum required peak intensity.

H'mm. That's certainly a start...

Also allows the option of nighttime dimming so long as it does not drop
below 30% the minimum maintained luminous intensity (in other words, can
be variably dimmed dependent on ambient light).

OK, that's definitely going to help...IF manufacturers implement
it/municipalities specify it.

Also, luminance across the entire lens must be uniform, not exceeding a
max to min ratio of 10 to 1.

It will be interesting to see what kind of influence this exerts on the
design of the lamp heads. It may tend to reinforce the current North
American practice of using a matrix of many emitters, it may clear the way
for the highly optical Swedish(?) units with only *TWO* emitters per lamp
head, or it may exert no influence at all.

Now that there's a specification in place, it's up to the municipalities
to make sure their existing stock and/or new stock meet the published
requirements.

H'mmm. I can't see it happening too quickly, I'm afraid. Not with the
large number of recently-installed non-spec units.

DS