Harry B. Pye

Arch,

Have I found my signature piece at long last, or has everyone who has
ever turned NIP tried letting the branches stick out? Nice key ring
holder, indeed! Maybe that's the best I can hope for, but hope does
spring eternal; besides I'm tired of hollowing.

As someone said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Or from the kids,
"Whatever floats your boat!" So turn whatever you like and what pleases you.
I suspect David Ellsworth has nothing to fear about competition from either
of us.

Thinking about this a bit more, I realize why the Richard Raffan tapes may
not be the best teaching tools for beginning turners. He is so good and so
fast that everything he does looks simple. I watch the tape, get all fired
up and rush off to the lathe. As bowls, lids and scoops ricochet all over
the shop, I realize it is not that simple. So when I turn something and it
takes ten times longer than Raffan and doesn't look nearly as nice, I reward
myself by saying that this one was better than the last and the next one
will probably be better.

But the idea is to have fun,

Harry