Jane

Default removing tile mastic from plaster walls

Remodeling the kitchen (due to an addition and a door and window
elimination) and now have more cabinet and countertop area. I built the
new cabinets and refaced the old. Now I need to remove the ceramic tile
from the walls (countertop to bottom of cabinets). The walls are plaster
and I like the tile but cannot match the color for newly created areas
as the house was built in the 50's. I like the look of tile between the
countertop and cabinets.

I have have read about tiling over existing tile. Has anyone one done
that? Results?

If I end up having to remove the old tile, does anyone know how to take
the tile adhesive off the plaster wall? Heat gun and scrape?

Has anyone done this? Maybe remove the old mastic and add 1/4 inch
backerboard to even out the gouges I'll probably get from removing the
mastic?

I've been to tile stores but the sales people only know how to sell tile
and have been of no help.

Thanks, Jane