Mike Mitchell

Default Update from mobile phone virgin on Virgin Mobile

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:27:09 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:16:57 +0100, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

It is all I want to do. I'd still use a BT phone box if one happens to
be where I am when I want to make a call and am not at home.

You don't mind paddling in wee on the floor of phone boxes?

Be warned, I recently got my father one of these (he also hated mobile
phones), and after 2 weeks with it, didn't know how he'd managed all these
years without it!

That is what I am afraid of! Once a mobile phone virgin, I shall
quickly be turned into another airwave marauder, like the rest of the
country. However, I gave up smoking, so I can give up the phone!

Doubtful. far more addictive than nicotine....... :-)

You do realise that the phone is the syringe and the airtime the drug?
:-:

I've already spent a fortune just in the past few hours mucking about
with it and doing test dials to my fixed line (BT) phone.

This gadget must be the most functionally perverse, arcane and
unintuitive piece of kit I have ever acquired, and I speak as one who
has six computers and three hundred computer books. The user guide
(the long version) is useless at answering the questions I have. So is
the Siemens website. I have already called the Virgin Mobile help desk
twice, They were still very friendly and helpful. But this phone's
functional design is terrible. It looks neat, sure. But if we think
setting up a video is hard (and I don't, particularly), this phone's
complex menu system is like trying to fix the Hubble telescope with a
robotic arm on the top of Everest. As for the rocker-type
multifunction buttons (press the right-hand end or the left-hand end),
well, I am just flabbergasted that the designers thought these were a
useful feature.

At least I have found out how to (a) make a call, (b) leave a
voicemail, (c) retrieve a voicemail, and (d) set the ring tone. If
they can produce a phone like this with all the bells and whistles I
do not want for £39.99 all in, imagine how cheaply they could produce
a far more basic version with the extras removed.

MM